- 1 – 2lbs of unpeeled shrimp
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1-2 tablespoon Tony Cachere’s creole seasoning
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoonds of diced garlic
- 3 bay leaves
- thyme (single bunch)
- parsley, minced. about 1/8-1/4 cup
- cayenne, black pepper, and kosher salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon of worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups of shrimp stock
- 2 tablepoons of hot sauce, preferrably Crystal
- 1-1.5 cups of boiled white rice
1. Brown 1/2 cup of onions in frothy butter on medium/medium-high heat. Going for a golden brown color here. Use something like a dutch oven or cast iron pot.
2. Add in the celery, bell pepper, onions. Reduce to medium heat.
3. Add in 1 tablespoon Tony’s creole seasoning and some salt. Shouldn’t need much salt as Tony’s is already pretty salty.
4. Cook the vegetables until they’re wilted.
5. Mix in the tomato paste and stir it up. Cook until the paste browns, stirring frequently.
6. Add in the chopped tomatoes and a pinch of salt.
7. After the tomatoes break down, add the shrimp stock, bay leaves, thyme, dry seasonings, splash of Crystal, and another pinch of Tony’s. Increase heat and bring to a boil.
8. Once at a boil, reduce to low heat and simmer for at least 45 minutes.
9. Add (Crystal) hot sauce and worcestershire sauce. Add salt and more Tony’s here to taste (teaspoon or so?).
10. Increase heat to a boil, turn down heat to low, then add shrimp.
11. Cook on low heat until shrimp are done. Be careful not to overcook them. Cook the shrimp slowly(ish) on low heat! About 4-6 minutes?
12. Serve over rice and garnish with green onions and parsley.
Of course some pics: